About the Course
1. Are you guys approved by the Ohio BMV?
Yes! Too Cool Traffic School is 100% approved by the Ohio BMV and the state of Ohio.
2. How long is the Ohio online teen driving course?
The course is designed to be a minimum of twenty-four (24) hours. This is the state requirement for ALL traffic schools. However, time can vary based on the students’ learning speed and how often they start/stop the course.
3. Do I have to take all 24 hours at once?
No, the state of Ohio will only allow you to spend a maximum of 4 hours in a 24 hours. The timer resets every day at midnight. There’s no need to rush through the material. If you stop the course, it will pick up right where you left off.
4. Is it okay to go over 24 hours?
Absolutely! We encourage it because you have to do at least 24 hours completing the course.
5. Is this an online course only? / Do you offer in-person training?
6. What’s in the online teen driving course?
If you’re under 18, you must take a BMV-approved Ohio drivers ed course. It has 10 chapters and takes a minimum of 24 hours to complete. You must be at least 15 years and 5 months old to start taking a drivers ed course and at least 16 to take your driving test at the BMV.
7. What’s the course like?
Our class is primarily a reading course, with certain portions of the course featuring narration, videos and activities to make it more interesting and enjoyable.
8. When can I start the course? / Is there a wait time?
The state of Ohio requires that we verify your identity before you start the course. Since you’re a minor, we do that by verifying the identity of your parent or guardian. If they have a Social Security Number (SSN) and have lived in the United States for at least 3 years, then 90% of the time you’ll be able to start immediately. However, if we cannot automatically verify their identity, then they must complete the 2Cool Parent Affidavit.
9. Is there a test?
Yes. There is a test at the end with 50 questions. You have three (3) attempts to pass. However, you must wait 24 hours between each attempt if you happen to fail. If you fail all three tries, then you will have to repeat the entire course. However, if you reach out to us, we will not make you re-pay.
10. How many questions do I need to get right?
You need to score higher than a 75% to pass. This means that you need to answer at least 38 questions correctly.
11. What if I don’t pass the test?
You have three (3) attempts to pass. However, you must wait 24 hours between each attempt if you happen to fail. If you fail all three tries, then you will have to repeat the entire course. If this happens, reach out to us and we will issue the course again to you for free.
12. I completed the course but it says I didn’t.
If you passed the final exam, but it says you haven’t completed the course then that means you have not spent at least 24 hours in the course. Please log back into your account and review the chapters until the time says 24:00:00.
13. Is there a certificate of completion?
Yes. We mail a hard copy of your certificate to your mailing address (or to your driving school, if you registered through them). Emailed copies and electronic versions are not permitted by Ohio state law. See the “Certificate Delivery” section for more information.
14. What do I do after I pass the course?
Wait for your certificate to arrive! Here’s a quick overview of the whole process.
1. Be at least 16 years old and hold a temporary permit for at least 6 months.
2. Enroll in the 24hr Driver’s Ed course (you can enroll when you are at least 15.5 years old) and complete within 6 months.
3. Complete 8 hours of behind-the-wheel practice with a licensed driving school. (You must complete the full 24hr Driver's Ed Course before you can enroll with a driving school.)
4. Complete a total of 50 hours (10 hours at night) of supervised driving with a parent/guardian and submit a Fifty Hour Affidavit
5. Pass the driving skills test
15. Is this course available in Spanish?
Unfortunately, no. This course is not available in Spanish. However, we have had many students from out of the country use a translator (Google translate or a bi-lingual friend/family member) without any problems.
16. What is the price of the course?
The price is $74.99 which includes FREE USPS shipping with a tracking number, plus your enrollment certificate (mailed after you spend two hours in the course) and your completion certificate (mailed once you finish)!
17. How do I sign up?
18. I am having technical issues logging in.
If you’re having trouble logging into your account or other technical issues, please see: How Do I Log In
20. I’m over 18 but would like to take the full 24 hour course.
Great! You are more than welcome to -- and encouraged, at that! If you take the 24 hour course and do 8 hours of driving with a licensed driving instructor at a local driving school, then you will NOT be required to do the Abbreviated Adult Course in the event that you fail either part of your road test as long as you have completed the driver's ed course within the last 12 months.
Parent Affidavit Process
1. What is a Parent Affidavit?
This is a form you need in order for us to verify your parent or guardian’s identity because we couldn’t verify them automatically.
2. Why do you have to verify my identity?
This is a state of Ohio requirement. Trust us, if we didn’t have to, we wouldn’t make you jump through an extra hoop!
3. Why do I need to fill out this form?
The parent or guardian will be the one filling the form out. If they have not lived in the U.S. for at least 3 years and/or does not have a Social Security Number (SSN), then they will most likely have to fill out this form. The form will also be needed if we could not verify their identity automatically — most likely because of a lack of official legal documents under their name in the state.
4. How do I fill this out?
Filling out the form is easy! You need to fill out the top portion with your information, then get it notarized at any bank near you for FREE. Take a picture of it on your smartphone and upload it to your account.
5. What is a notary stamp?
It’s a stamp that tells us an official notary has verified your identity. You can get this at any bank near you FOR FREE!
6. Where can I get the form notarized?
You can get it notarized at any bank near you for FREE! Some libraries also have notaries available.
7. I don’t have a scanner or fax machine. What do I do?
No problem! You can simply take a picture of it and upload the picture to your account. You can do this by taking a photo with a smartphone and logging into school.toocooltrafficschool.com/login
from your phone.
8. Is this the same as the Fifty Hour Affidavit that the BMV gave me?
No. This is completely different! The Fifty Hour Affidavit is only for the parent to verify supervised behind-the-wheel training you’ve received. You need the 2Cool Parent Affidavit that can be found in PDF form on your dashboard in Step 1, then follow the rest of the steps on your dashboard.
1. Do you offer Behind-the-Wheel Training?
No. We are an online traffic school only. We do not offer Behind-the-Wheel training or any other in-person training. However, we would be happy to recommend you to a local school in your area.
2. How much is Behind-the-Wheel Training?
You will need to call or visit the website of the driving school that you’re interested in to get price estimates for meeting your 8-hour instructor driving requirement.
3. How do I prove that I’ve done 8 hours with an instructor and 50 hours of driving with my parent or guardian?
After you complete the practice with a licensed instructor, they will provide you with a certificate that you will need to give to the BMV. To show proof of 50 hours with a parent or guardian, you will need a Fifty Hour Affidavit
. The BMV should have given you this already. If not, you can click here to download and print it out.
4. What do I take with me to the Behind-the-Wheel training?
Once you’ve spent two hours in the Ohio online teen course, we will send a Certificate of Enrollment. If you haven’t finished the course in its entirety yet, you will need to provide that certificate to your driving instructor before they will be able to enroll you for 8 hours of behind-the-wheel practice.
Working with our Partner Schools
1. I Bought from a school near me, how do I get my course?
When you sign up with one of our partner schools they enter into our online school and assign you/your child a “seat” in the online school. They are invited to take their “seat” with an email that includes a link. Click that link and follow the registration process.
2. I’ve got this email but I end up in a shopping cart. Where is my course?
If you see the shopping cart and it's telling you that you need to pay for the course, then you have probably already registered your account through the link in your email. Clicking it again will take you to the shopping cart as though you're trying to buy the product. Instead, log into your account by going to: school.toocooltrafficschool.com/login
3. I’m in my account but there isn’t a start button.
When you sign up with our Partner schools your certificates are shipped directly to your driving school. Because of that you are required to verify that we are sending it somewhere other than your address. So in your account once you get it all set up and you are at your dashboard you will see a “Verify Address” button. Click that and and click through giving us permission to ship it to them and you will come back to the dashboard with a Start button.
4. Where is my Certificate of Enrollment/Completion?
When you sign up with our partner schools they take care of all the paperwork for you. All you have to do is a student is focusing on learning the material.
5. When can I book my Behind the Wheel Training?
You can schedule your BTW training after you complete 2 hours in the course and your school receives your certificate of enrollment. However, some schools may not allow you to begin your behind-the-wheel sessions until you complete the course entirely. Please check with your school. Certificates to schools are all shipped 2-Day Priority FedEx on Thursdays and arrive at your school by Tuesday 10AM. Please keep in mind that during the pandemic all businesses are dealing in very unusual circumstances, so we encourage you to be understanding.
1. How do I sign up?
- Click here to get started;
- Create login information (email and create a password);
- Enter student information (first and last name and a phone number);
- Choose your shipping preference for the 2-hr enrollment certificate;
- Choose your shipping preference for the completion certificate;
- Payment method (credit card, debit card or prepaid card);
- Mailing address (wherever you want us to send your certificate);
- Identity verification
- Begin the course!
Please Note: Your Name, Date of Birth, and Certificate Address must be 100% correct. Otherwise, your certificate will be DENIED by the Ohio BMV and you will be forced to purchase and wait for another certificate.
2. Do I have to pay first before I can start the course?
Yes. You must use a debit card, credit card or prepaid card to pay.
3. I don’t have a debit card or credit card. What should I do?
You can purchase a prepaid debit card at a grocery store and use that to pay.
4. Can I break it up into two payments?
No. You must pay for the course entirely at once with one card.
5. What payment methods do you accept?
We accept credit cards, debit cards, and prepaid cards that are Visa, Mastercard, American Express, JCB, Discover, and Diners Club.
6. I don’t have an email address. Can I still sign up for the class?
Yes! However, we strongly encourage you to sign up with an email address so that you can receive your FREE certificate tracking number.
7. I entered my information wrong by accident. How do I change it?
You can update your information as needed on your own after you're done with the initial course and account setup.
To change your Name, Email, Password, DOB: On the top of the screen, click "Account" and "Edit Profile".
To change your Certificate Address (which must match the one on your permit) or your Mailing Address, click "Edit Address" on your account dashboard screen. It is located right above where you access your courses.
8. What’s next after I sign up?
Go to your dashboard and accept our terms and conditions.
9. I forgot my password.
to return to the login page, then click on “Forgot Password” to enter your email address. There will be an email sent to you with a link to reset your password. If you do not see an email, please check your spam folder.
10. Where’s my permit number?
Your permit number is located on Line 4B of your temporary license. It should have two (2) letters followed by six (6) numbers, no spaces. (Example: UX123456)
11. What’s the difference between certificate address and mailing address?
Your certificate address is the one shown on your permit. The mailing address is where you want us to send your certificate. These two addresses may or may not be the same.
1. When do you mail out the certificates?
Certificates are processed and mailed out every weekday (Mon-Fri), excluding holidays.
2. How will I know when my certificate has been mailed out?
You will receive an email confirmation once your certificate has been mailed out. This email will have your tracking number in it. If you have completed the course but did not receive an email anytime between Monday through Friday, please make sure that you have spent at least 24 hours in the course and everything on your dashboard status has been marked as complete.
Note: If you registered with a driving school, certificates are mailed on Thursdays.
3. What time do I have to get the course done if I want my certificate mailed out today?
We do not mail out certificates on Saturdays and Sundays. In order to have your certificate processed and mailed on the same day through USPS or FedEx, you must complete the course by 11:00 a.m. (M-F).
4. How long will it take for my certificate to get here?
The estimated time of delivery with FREE standard USPS shipping is 7-10 business days. However, the average delivery time is 3-5 days.
5. What if I need my certificate faster?
We offer expedited shipping through FedEx:
- Overnight (Guaranteed Next Business Day by 8:00 p.m., M-F) $38.99
- 2-Day (Guaranteed 2nd Business Day by 8:00 p.m., M-F) $15.99
- 3-Day (Guaranteed 3rd Business Day by 8:00 p.m., M-F) $13.99
- *Please note: FedEx does NOT deliver on weekends and does NOT deliver to P.O. Box mailing addresses.
6. Can you email me my certificate?
Unfortunately, we cannot. It’s an Ohio state law that we must send you a hard copy. No electronic versions are allowed.
7. What’s the price for shipping?
We offer FREE USPS shipping with a tracking number. Prices for expedited shipping through FedEx are in the bulleted list in #4 above.
8. What is a tracking number? / Why is it so important?
A tracking number is the number we give you in an email after we send out your certificate. This number will track exactly where your certificate is at all times.
9. What do I do once I get my certificate?
You should complete the Behind-the-Wheel training if you haven’t done so already. See the “Behind-the-Wheel” section. Otherwise, take your certificate with you to the BMV and retake your driving test!
10. Where is my certificate?
You can find where your certificate is in the mailing process by plugging in your tracking number into Google. If you have trouble finding it, please contact the shipping method distributor that you chose:
- USPS: 1 (800) 275-8777
- FedEx: 1 (800) 463-3339
11. I never got my certificate / Something is wrong on my certificate.
Please click the button on your account that says "Request Replacement Certificate" and follow the prompts. You will need to pay a small fee, select a shipping method, and complete a small form so that we can process the request.
12. What if I entered the wrong mailing address and I find out that my package is being returned to you?
Once the tracking shows that a package is on its way back to us, FedEx and USPS generally will not re-direct packages and attempt to re-deliver. For expedited shipping — if shipping was already attempted and the certificate is being returned to us, we cannot provide a refund. Please refer to the question above and follow the steps to get a new certificate.
Personal Validation Questions
1. What are Personal Validation Questions (PVQ)?
PVQs are asked periodically throughout the course to verify that the person who enrolled is the same person that is taking the course and not someone else taking it for you.
2. HELP! I got locked out of the course because I answered too many PVQs wrong.
Unfortunately, this is a state requirement. If you were locked out of the course, you will be locked out for 24 hours. Once that time passes, you will be able to continue.
3. What if a question doesn’t apply to me?
If a question does not apply to you, simply put “N/A” as your answer. For example, if it asks for your middle name and you do not have a middle name then put “N/A” and choose “N/A” as your answer when you get asked that particular question.
4. How do I avoid getting these wrong?
You must remember the answers that you submitted. If you answer truthfully, then you avoid having to remember anything and avoid the risk of being locked out of the course.
5. How long do I have to answer a PVQ?
You have one (1) minute to answer a PVQ question.
6. How many Personal Validation Questions are there?
There are 14 PVQs.
7. How many PVQs can I get wrong until it locks me out?
If you get one (1) PVQ wrong, it will ask you another question. If you fail to answer the second question correctly, then you will be locked out of the course for 24 hours.