I am coming to the U.S. soon and need to get a license what do I need to do?

I am coming to the U.S. soon and need to get a license what do I need to do?

This is specifically for people who will be traveling to the U.S. but have not arrived yet.
You need to have an i-94 or an alien registration number in order to apply for a learner's permit, driver's license, or take the Florida TLSAE or Knowledge Exam.  You cannot register for our programs until you have this. Once you have your I-94, click here to learn about how to register for the online course as a foreignerou need. 

Can I drive with my foreign license in Florida?

If you are visiting for only a few weeks, you can drive if you have a valid driver's license from your home country. However, if you are moving here for any substantial amount of time (new job, new residence, college, etc.) you should get a Florida driver's license. If you need to take any driver's ed training, you will first need to have an I-94.

How do you get an I-94?

Travelers will be issued an I-94 during the admission process at the port of entry. Once you have that, you can sign up for the program that you need. The other option is to provide an alien registration number. Unfortunately, we cannot accept an ITIN number or Passport Number.

Can you get an I-94 ahead of time? 

If you are traveling via a land border you may apply for an I-94 in advance, saving time while at the port of entry later. To register for this in advance, click here.

What do I need to have to get my license?

Before a REAL-ID compliant driver license or ID card can be issued, you must provide
  1. Primary Identification (ONE of the following)
    1. Valid alien registration receipt card (green card, form I-551);
    2. I-551 stamp in passport or on I-94;
    3. Immigration judge’s order, containing the customer’s A-number (admissions number),
    4. granting asylum;
    5. I-797, containing the customer’s A-number, stating the customer has been granted asylum; or
    6. I-797, or another form from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), with the customer’s A-number, stating the customer’s application for refugee status is approved.
    7. Valid employment authorization card issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) form I-688B or I-766;
    8. Non-expired proof of non-immigrant classification provided by DHS form I-94 with required supporting attachment(s). If a customer is unsure of the required documentation, they should bring all United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) documentation with them.
    9. I-94s must be accompanied by a valid passport with a date of entry stamp. Certain classifications require additional documentation. Some examples are:
    10. F-1 and M-1 classification must be accompanied by an I-20;
    11. J-1 or J-2 designation must be accompanied by a DS2019;
    12. Refugee, asylee and parolee classifications must be accompanied by additional documentation;
    13. I-571 travel document/refugee travel permit;
    14. I-512 parole letter accepted; or
    15. Immigration judge’s order granting asylum or cancellation of removal.
  2. Proof of SSN
    1. U.S. Citizens and Immigrants must obtain proof of a social security number issued by the Social Security Administration. For information on obtaining this, visit: https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/
    2. Non-Immigrants must provide proof of a social security number unless their immigration status doesn't authorize them to work in the U.S. In this case, you should provide a letter of ineligibility from the Social Security Administration. For more information related to Non-Immigrant requirements for obtaining a Social Security Number, please visit https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm.
  3. Proof of Residential Address (TWO of the following)
    1. Deed, mortgage, monthly mortgage statement, mortgage payment booklet or residential rental/lease agreement;
    2. Florida voter registration card;
    3. Florida vehicle registration or title (print a duplicate registration at MyDMV Portal);
    4. Utility bill;
    5. A utility hook up or work order dated within 60 days of the application;
    6. Automobile payment booklet;
    7. Selective service card;
    8. Medical or health card with address listed;
    9. Current homeowner insurance policy or bill;
    10. Current automobile insurance policy or bill;
    11. Educational institution transcript forms for the current school year;
    12. Unexpired professional license issued by a government agency in the U.S.;
    13. W-2 form or 1099 form;
    14. Form DS2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) status;
    15. A letter from a homeless shelter, transitional service provider or a half-way house verifying they receive mail for the customer. The letter must be accompanied by a Certification of Address form;
    16. Mail from financial institutions including checking, savings, or investment account statements;
    17. Mail from federal, state, county, or city government agencies; or
    18. FDLE registration form completed by local sheriff department.
If you do not have any of the above documents in your name, you can provide two proofs of residential address from a parent, step-parent, legal guardian or other person with whom you reside and a Certification of Address form.