My course expired, can I get an extension?

My course expired, can I get an extension?

In very specific circumstances, the Ohio DPS will allow us to extend the time that students have to complete their 24hr Teen Driver's Ed or 4hr Abbreviated course. 

Course Expiration Rules:
  1. 24hr Driver's Ed Course - Expires 6 months after starting the course
  2. 4hr Abbreviated Adult Course - Expires 90 days after starting the course
Extension Rule (24hr Driver's Ed):
All training as required in this rule and rule 4501-7-10 of the Administrative Code, provided by the enterprise shall be made available to, and completed by, the student within six months of the first date of training, unless mitigating circumstances occur. Mitigating circumstances include health and family issues that disrupt the student's ability to receive training. Mitigating circumstances do not include the inability to schedule training due to parent or student elective or extra-curricular activities, such as sports and school clubs. Mitigating circumstances shall be documented in the student's record. Requests for special circumstances not listed to be considered as "mitigating" shall be requested through the department. If no mitigating circumstances are approved, training will be voided and the student shall re-take the training. See full code.

Step 1: Confirm Mitigating Circumstance

  1. If it's due to health reasons, then we can request an extension from the OH DPS.
  2. If it's because of family issues (divorce/therapy/etc) then we can request an extension from the OH DPS.
  3. If it's because the student has a documented learning disability (with an IEP) then we can request an extension from the OH DPS.
  4. If it's because the student has been busy, overwhelmed with schoolwork, etc then we cannot grant them an extension. They will need to take the course again from the beginning.

Step 2: Get the Supporting Documentation

We need to have proof to show to Ohio DPS so that they can approve and authorize the extension request.
 ACCEPTABLE            Letter from a physician, doctor, surgeon, chiropractor, therapist, etc.
 ACCEPTABLE            IEP documentation
NOT ACCEPTABLE    Hospital bills/fee statements   

If you have a mitigating circumstance, you must have documentation. For a request for an extension due to a divorce or other family matters, this is still the case. Ohio DPS requires a letter from a medical professional.

Step 3: Send the Request to2Cool Traffic School

Once you have the document, send it to us. Be sure to include "Request for Extension" in the subject line for the email and include the name, email address, and reason for the extension in the body of the email. Once we have it, we will send the request to the OH DPS and they will let us know if the request has been approved or denied, and how much of an extension they will authorize. 

    • Related Articles

    • My course expired and I need a new one

      In Ohio, the state has established expiration dates for courses. If a student's course expires, they are required to re-enroll and start again from the beginning. If you have a documented reason that prevented you from completing the course before it ...
    • I logged in and can't find my course

      I'm being prompted for personal details. If you made your payment for the course but didn't completely finish entering your personal details during the registration process, then when you first log in, it will prompt you to finish finalizing your ...
    • How do I pass the Ohio Abbreviated Adult Course?

      OHIO EXCLUSIVE: This applies to any person who failed any portion of their driving test in Ohio and is taking the Abbreviated Adult Driver Training course so that they can retake their test at the BMV. You MUST spend at least 4 hours in the course. ...
    • How do I start my Ohio 24hr Teen Driver's Ed course?

      OHIO EXCLUSIVE: This applies to any student who has registered for the teen driver's ed course for Ohio, but hasn't started the course yet. Step 1: View the Dashboard After you log in, you will be taken to your account dashboard where you will see ...
    • I'm locked out of my course

      Florida, Wisconsin or Tennessee Failed too many personal validation questions. If you fail too many personal validation questions (in some cases, as few as one), then you will be locked out of the course. You will need to call us and verify the ...