License from Out-of-State or Other Country (Reciprocity)

License from Out-of-State or Other Country (Reciprocity)

Do I need to take the TLSAE?

If you are a new driver that has never held (or do not have in your possession) a driver's license from another state or country, you must complete a Traffic Law and Substance Abuse Education (TLSAE) course before applying for a license in Florida.

I have a license from another state or country, do I need to take any driving tests?

The Class E Knowledge and Driving Skill exams are reciprocated (waived) if you present a valid driver license from any of the following:
  1. United States (including Territories/ Possessions)
  2. United States Military
  3. Canada*
  4. France
  5. Germany (driving skills test only)
  6. Republic of China (Taiwan)
  7. South Korea
Note: A vision exam is still required.
*Canadians can reciprocate examination requirements by surrendering their Canadian driver license; if not surrendered, Class E exams will be required. Licenses from other states or US territories/possessions must be surrendered when the Florida driver license is issued. 

If you have a license from any other country where there is not reciprocation, you will need to take the Class E Knowledge and Driving Skill exams. Please contact the DMV to make sure you do not also need to take the TLSAE since it can be required in some cases. 

I have a valid out-of-state driver license. Will I have to retake the driving test or written test to get a Florida driver license?

No. However, you will need to take the vision test. Other testing may be required if there are any issues or reasons that the DMV thinks that the driver may not be able to safely drive a vehicle.

What if I have never had a driver license anywhere before?

  1. Applicants for a first-time original Florida driver license must provide two forms of identification, proof of date of birth, proof of residential address, and proof of social security number. Non US Citizens must present proof of legal presence. Note: Out-of-state driver licenses or IDs are not allowed as primary identification. 
  2. All applicants must show proof that they have completed a traffic law and substance abuse education course and will be required to pass vision and hearing tests, road rules and road sign tests, plus a driving test.
    1. Applicants for a learner’s license must be at least 15 years old and must present a parental consent form.