I failed my road or maneuverability test at the BMV
This article applies to new drivers 18 or older that failed a portion of their driving test at the Ohio BMV.
If you fail the road test or maneuverability test at your local BMV and are over the age of 18, you will be required to take a 4-hour Abbreviated Adult Driver Training Course AND do additional behind-the-wheel practice before you can retake the test.
- Chapter 1: Basic Control Tasks
- Chapter 2: Traffic Control Devices & Laws
- Chapter 3: Perception & Driving Strategies for Different Environments
- Chapter 4: Operating in Adverse Conditions
- Chapter 5: Driver Fitness
- Chapter 6: Owning & Maintaining a Car
Driving Practice Requirement
You need to complete either:
24 hours of behind-the-wheel training OR 4 hours of driving practice with a driving instructor.
NOTE: You will have to wait at least 7 days before you can retry your driving test. You can only take the driving test 4 times in a 6 month period of time.
Option #1: I want to do 24 hours of driving practice with someone 21 years or older
Pros and Cons:
- You can practice with a family member or friend that you feel comfortable driving with
- You can practice during intervals and times that work into your schedule.
- There is no cost (other than the gas used while driving).
- You cannot practice for more than 4hrs/day. This means that you would need to do 6 days of driving to get 24 hours of driving practice.
- It’s time-consuming and will put more mileage and wear on the car.
- The cost of gas used over 24 hours of driving practice would only be slightly cheaper than the cost of going to a driving school.
To show that you have completed 24 hours of driving practice, the State of Ohio requires that you print out the 24 Hour Affidavit
, have it notarized, and bring it with you when you return to the BMV to retake your driving test. To improve your understanding and be best prepared on what you will be tested on, use the Behind-the-Wheel Evaluation Checklist
on your practice drives!
Option #2: I want to do 4 hours of driving practice with a licensed driving instructor at a driving school
Pros and Cons:
- It's the fastest way to complete the requirement
- You benefit from the expertise of someone who knows tips they can share to help you succeed
- Some schools offer you the choice of using your own vehicle or using one of theirs
- The cost of the school is usually more expensive than driving with a family member
- You don’t know your instructor personally
NOTE: If you practice with a licensed driving instructor, the school will provide you with a document that you need to take with you to the BMV.
How do I get my Ohio driver's license? (Adult)
OHIO EXCLUSIVE: This is for adults (18+ years old) in Ohio that are getting their driver's license. Step 1: Take the Temps Test As soon as you're ready, you can take the knowledge exam to get your Temps (TIPIC/Temporary Permit) at the BMV. To do ...
How do I get my Ohio driver's license? (Teen)
OHIO EXCLUSIVE: This is for teens (15 years and 5 months - 17 years old) in Ohio that are getting their driver's license. Step 1: Complete the Education Requirements Enroll in the 24 hour Driver Ed Course (Age must be at least 15 years, 5 months) ...
Reprobé mi examen de carretera o de maniobrabilidad en la BMV
Esta información se aplica a los conductores nuevos de 18 años o más que no aprobaron una parte de su examen de manejo en la BMV de Ohio. Si no pasa el examen práctico o el examen de maniobrabilidad en su BMV local y es mayor de 18 años, se le pedirá ...
Scheduling and Taking the Road Test for Your NYS Driver's License
There are 4 steps you need to follow in order to receive your New York State driver's license. Step 1: Prepare for Your Test Pass the written permit test and getting your NYS Learner Permit Click HERE for more information on getting your Learner ...
Where can I find a driving school for behind the wheel practice?
OHIO EXCLUSIVE: This is meant to help Ohio students find a driving school so that they can get additional behind the wheel training. Summary of the Ohio State Requirements Ohio Abbreviated Adult Course Adults who failed their road test or ...